Jazz piano for the rest of us...
2018 Winter/Spring Courses
American Folk Songs
Transform best-loved folk songs into rich arrangements through:
- Layered bass, harmony, melody.
- Folk and jazz scales.
- Gospel licks and rhythms.
- Left-hand stock accompaniments.
Best choice for less experienced improvisers comfortable with triads.
Jazz Ballads 101
Explore classic slow tunes from the American songbook with:
- Colorful chords and voicings.
- Emotional phrasing.
- Advanced jazz scales.
- Layered bass, harmony, melody, and fills.
Recommended for more experienced improvisers accustomed to playing 7th chords.
American Folk Songs
Dates: Wednesdays - Jan. 3, 17, 31, Feb. 14, 28, Apr. 4, 18, May 2
11:00 am – 12:15 (Eastern) Compare with your time zone.
or 7:00 – 8:15 pm (Eastern) Compare with your time zone.
Tunes being considered: Home on the Range, House of the Rising Sun, maybe an Irish air like Danny Boy
Why would anyone want to play Home of the Range?
I know that learning a tune like Home of the Range may not be on the top of everyone's list (though I kind of like it actually), but there's more to my selections than just "tune appeal." I look for tunes with the specific musical elements that enable me to emphasize the creative concepts of a particular genre. So, while learning a new tune is fun, the bigger goal is to master the characteristic principles (accompaniment styles, embellishments, substitute chords, etc.) of the genre at hand in order to turn any humdrum tune into a ripsnorting arrangement.
$500 for 8 lessons spaced over approx. 16 weeks depending on how holidays fall on the calendar. That’s $62.50 per lesson before discounts but $31.25 per week is a more accurate way to think about it considering the high level of student/teacher interaction between lessons.
- Interactive 75-minute lessons with multi cameras, screen sharing, and educational software.
- Replay videos for lessons you miss or want to review that don’t expire until Aug. 30.
- Highly detailed PDF handouts that are constantly updated.
- Lesson plans, and assignments for each lesson.
- Membership in our private Facebook group from the course beginning through Aug. 30.
- Custom backing tracks for practicing with a simulated band.
- Quick responses to your questions and videos M-F.
- Certificate of completion.
1. Returning student – Enroll in the next session and receive $25 off! To redeem this offer, pay the full amount. Then notify me so I can refund the amount of the discount.
2. Professional educator – Music teachers who belong to a professional trade organization qualify for a $25 discount. To confirm your status, email a picture of your membership card to a trade association such as MTNA, NAfME, or ASTA… And yes, Returning student and Professional educator discounts can be combined. To redeem this offer, pay the full amount. Then notify me so I can refund the amount of the discount.
3. Both courses at once - Take weekly lessons by enrolling in both courses A and B and receive a $100 discount! Note that this offer cannot be combined with other discounts. To redeem offer, select the two course option at checkout rather than checking two courses individually.
4. Refer a Friend - Write in a friend's name at checkout. If he/she enrolls in a course, I'll send you a $25 Amazon gift card.
Creative Chords/Boogie Styles
Pop/Jazz Essential Tunes
Charlie Brown Christmas